George Muñoz is an internationally recognized leader in business, law
and finance. He has overseen and directed complex transactions, and
serves as an advisor to major industry and government
BUSINESS EXPERIENCE HIGHLIGHTS:
- Prior to co-founding Muñoz
Group, Mr. Muñoz was the President and Chief Executive Officer of the
Overseas Private Investment Corporation (1997-2001), an independent agency
of the Federal Government. As CEO, he oversaw an 18 billion dollar portfolio
of loans, guarantees and political risk insurance on private sector
in the emerging markets. Muñoz continues to work closely with the business and
government leaders of Asia, Africa, Southeastern Europe and Latin America that
he met while at OPIC.
- Prior to OPIC, Mr. Muñoz was
appointed by the President and confirmed by the U.S. Senate as Assistant
Secretary and Chief Financial Officer of the U.S. Treasury Department (1993-1997).
Muñoz oversaw the Treasury's budget, financial statements and management
policies. He worked closely with the Treasury Bureaus including, the IRS,
Customs, OCC, OTS, FMS, ATF, and the Secret Service.
- Mr. Muñoz worked in law and investment
banking in Chicago prior to moving to Washington, DC. He was a partner
in the investment banking firm of Stevenson, Colling & Muñoz (1990-1993). Prior to that,
he was an Associate and then a Partner in the Chicago law firm of Mayer Brown and
Platt (1980-1989) working on complex international tax and business matters.
- Muñoz has over 20 years of experience
performing financial advisory and legal services, including, valuations, fairness
opinions, tax planning, commercial
and political risk assessments on overseas investments, and has structured
and negotiated business transactions including mergers and
acquisitions, project finance and private equity ventures.
and EDUCATIONAL credentials:
- JD; Harvard Law School (1978)
- MA, Public Policy; Kennedy School of Government (1978)
of Law in Taxation; DePaul University (1984)
- BA, Accounting; University of Texas at Austin (1974)
- Certified Public Accountant
(Licensed in Texas, Illinois and Virginia)
- Licensed Attorney (Licensed
in Washington DC, Illinois, Texas and Virginia)
Georgetown University MBA courses.
- Certified Financial Planner™,
Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF
- AICPA), and Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV - AICPA)
and CORPORATE Leadership:
- Current member of the Board of Directors of
Marriott International (MAR), Altria Group (MO), and the National Geographic Society.
- Member of the President's Commission on
White House Fellows (2009 - Present)
- President of the Chicago Board of Education
- Trustee, DePaul University(1989-92)
- Executive Vice-Chair of the CFO Council of
the Federal Government (1994-97)
- Member of the Governing Board of the Certified Financial
Planners Board of Standards (2003-2005).
- Listed in Hispanic Business "TOP 100
here to see the Hispanic Magazine cover story on George Muñoz.